Sunday, November 8, 2009

Echoes of a Reflection...

Sunday, December 7, 2008 at 2:50pm

The first reaction to a truth is hate.

"Hatred is evil...and what is the root of all evil? Desire is the root of evil; illusion is the root of evil." - Siddhartha Gautama, The Buddha

"Hatred corrodes the vessel in which it is stored." - Chinese proverb

"Hatred is nothing more than self-punishment. Hatred is the coward's revenge for being intimidated." - George Bernard Shaw

“The hatred of those who are near to us is the most violent - Publius Cornelius Tacitus


Why do you look at me like that? I see that look in your eyes and wonder why I even bother any more. Do you think I have spent all of this time wasting my life? Actually, I know that you do. It is so easy for you to criticize me for every little thing I do. Even worse is that look you give me for those I do not. I have spent so much of life trusting you and working for you. When does it end? I really want to know. When will you finally be satisfied? Please tell me because I need to know. I need to know what it will take to make you happy and to leave me be in peace.

Again you look at me with judgment and disappointment. Do you think any of this can come so easily? Have you no patience? No, forget patience. Have you no faith in me any more? What happened to you? What makes you think you have any right to judge me?

I hate you.

I hate everything about you! I hate the fact that you quit on me. I hate it when you tell me I'm not good enough. For all of the chances in life you have made me miss, I hate you. I hate the fact that you have let me down so many times in my life. I hate how you always have an excuse. There is always something that never lets you see it through to the end. I hate that you constantly try to beat me down with your negativity. I hate that you always wait until the last minute to get anything done. I hate that you never stand up for yourself. Why do you always try and please everyone else? Why do you let people walk all over you? I hate the fact that you do these things knowing exactly what the other people are doing. I hate it when you are disappointed in me. I hate it when your fears hold me back. I absolutely hate you.

I hate that I can never say goodbye to you.
I hate that I can never run away from you.
I hate that I cannot hide from you.

But most of all...more than anything else, I hate that you stare back into my eyes every time I look into a mirror.

There comes a time when in each of our lives where you look into the mirror and realize that what you see is all that you will ever be. Then you accept it, or grow to hate yourself. Or you stop looking into mirrors.

Self-hatred never inspires lasting change. Time is irrelevant. Excuses are immaterial. Drown out the echoes and shatter the reflection. Become something greater than you are. This moment. Here, and now. Be the change you wish to see in the world, in your life, in the depths of your soul.

"Lord, make me an instrument of your peace; where there is hatred, let me sow love; where there is injury, pardon; where there is doubt, faith; where there is despair, hope; where there is darkness, light; and where there is sadness, joy." - St. Francis of Assisi

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home