Sunday, November 8, 2009

Searching for a Purpose

Wednesday, September 24, 2008 at 9:56pm

I feel rudderless. I can't help but feel that something has been missing in my life, and it has caused me these past few months to become distracted. The lofty goals I had set for myself have been accomplished. I ran a marathon with only a few weeks of training for the distance. Seven months later I completed an IronMan. Five months later I ran my first 50 mile Ultramarathon. Two months later I doubled the distance and ran 100 consecutive miles.

The goals I have for the future seem absurd and cause even those people who know me best to question whether or not they can be achieved. Yet for some reason I cannot seem to maintain the single-mindedness of purpose that I have had these past 21 months. I will be running seven marathons on the seven continents in seven consecutive weeks in 2010. While I am hoping it to be one of the most incredible experiences of my life the actual challenge itself does not require me to push myself or reach a new level. The Spartathlon will be held this weekend in Greece. Unfortunately I only became eligible to register after the registration had closed for 2008, but it is the goal I have set for myself in 2009.

I will be running in the race next September. I hope that in the very near future I will be able to reestablish the level of dedication and commitment to my goals with something like the Spartathlon on the horizon. I believe I have already taken the first steps in the right direction toward completing my future goals; time will tell.

The reason

When the Persian army landed at Marathon, Greece in 490 B.C.E. stories tell of an Athenian messenger who was sent to Sparta to request aid in their fight against overwhelming odds. The messenger, Pheidippides, ran the 150 miles to Sparta in two days. Other stories tell of how Pheidippides ran the 26.2 miles from the battlefield of Marathon to Athens to tell the Greeks of the tremendous victory. In 1879 the English poet Robert Browning recounted the story:

"So, when Persia was dust, all cried, "To Acropolis!

Run, Pheidippides, one race more! the meed is thy due!

Athens is saved, thank Pan, go shout!" He flung down his shield

Ran like fire once more: and the space 'twixt the fennel-field

And Athens was stubble again, a field which a fire runs through,

Till in he broke: "Rejoice, we conquer!" Like wine through clay,

Joy in his blood bursting his heart, - the bliss!"

It was this poem that acted as a source of inspiration to Pierre de Coubertin, founder of the modern Olympic Games. The story of Pheidippides' run from Marathon to Athens tells of an impressive feat. One that has been replicated and completed by many people across the world. Yet Pheidippides was a runner of true grit. Running 150 miles across the rugged and hilly terrain of Greece nearly two-and-a-half millennia ago ignites a passion in my blood. Something to strive for; to fight for. A purpose.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home